Redefining "Right" and "Wrong" in Language. This blog is intended to be screen reader friendly.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sociolinguistics Research Project

I am taking a Sociolinguistics course at Georgetown University. We are doing a research project and I handed in my research topic today. I couldn't decide between three topics and this is the topic that won the most votes among my friends (and that my professor admitted to finding the most interesting today):

How does perceived blindness affect language of customer service in a restaurant setting?
1) How does an employee use language get the attention of a blind customer?
a) when the blind customer is alone
b) in a group setting (with sighted people)
2) Does the employee use direct pronouns (you) or indirect pronouns (he, she)?
a) when the blind customer is alone
b) in a group setting (with sighted people).

I will be going around as a blind person. (Having been legally blind for years this will be easy--me being in my element.) Then I will observe how people talk to me.

What do you all think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thinkkkkkkkkk **thinks** that it's an interesting idea! (and hilarious) tell me how that turns out! (you'd make an interesting spy) *waggles eyebrows*

Followers